Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Days 22, and 23...My favorite bible verse and favorite quotes, and other stuff.

Upon looking back at this month, I found I have 21 entries. Some people are thinking "Wow! I can't believe I've read 21 pieces of nothing on this blog in the last month!" But others are thinking (myself included) "Wait, isn't this a blog a day challenge? Didn't she start it at the beginning of the month? Isn't this the 29th? That's 8 entries missing..." While the short attention spanned side of me is proud of myself for 21 rambling entries, the studious part of me is upset that I didn't totally stick to the challenge. But, I'm writing a lot of things that weren't part of the challenge, and I actually enjoy what I'm doing, so I guess I need to look at this as an accomplishment, even if completing the actual challenge takes 10935084 days instead of 30.
I'm actually going to write about the challenge topic, but before I do, here are short recaps of things I mentioned in prior blogs.
Lily didn't have a new word yesterday, but she still talked to us all night. She cheered for me when I did my fit test, and picked up some letters in the tub when I asked her to find them. Her favorite letters (or the ones she can identify correctly most often) are B, O, and T. She can show me her fish toys in the tub, as well as the octopus toys. Right now, one of her favorite things to do is pick up something and hold is up for us to tell her what it is, what color it is, and what sound it makes (if any). She's so curious, and I love it.
Since you're reading this, that means I actually wrote today, and THAT means I didn't die from the Fit Test for Day 1 of Insanity. (Sorry to those of you I bequeathed my stuff to yesterday before the work out, I know you all wanted my books, clothes, shoes, and cooking stuff!) I have never seen a work out more aptly named. It is insane, and you have to BE insane to do it. I did at least one rep of each exercise, which is saying something when the super buff, fit people on the video are only doing 9 or 10 of a particular exercise, for my fat butt to make it through one is an accomplishment. There were a few exercises where I actually did more than JP, which is also an accomplishment, considering I'm the antithesis of anything athletic and he has worked out at least 100 times more than me since I got pregnant. I didn't die, I didn't pass out, and I didn't throw up (even though I felt like it for a little while afterwards). Now I'm as ready as I'll ever be for the brutal workout, and the next Fit Test at the end of week 2. JP is bribing me with promises of new, skinny clothes, so I must stick with it. I'd like to note here, after doing the actual Day 1 workout, Insanity is 45 minutes of hell 6 days a week. But, again, I didn't die. Threw up, but didn't die. Accomplishment!
We are going to see Minus the Bear in concert-- I'm so excited! They're playing at the Cannery Ballroom on June 1, which is the day before our anniversary. It's also towards the end of Insanity, so we can dually celebrate.
And now, I present to you, Day 22 of the actual blog challenge: "My Favorite Bible Verse".
I had actually decided to skip this one at first. Not because I don't like the Bible or anything like that, but because I wasn't sure what verse was actually my favorite. I try to live a good life and do the right thing, but I don't attend church regularly and I don't have a denominational affiliation. I was kind of concerned that I would come off as a hypocrite on this one. But, then I reconsidered it, and I know in my heart that it doesn't matter what church I do or do not attend, faith is faith and I have that. So, here is one of my favorite passages:
1 Corinthians 13:4-8
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

To me, this passage is one everyone needs to take to heart and live their life by. I think people spend a lot of their time doing the complete opposite of loving one another. If we spent more time being patient, kind, humble, honorable, calm, and forgiving, wouldn't this world be a better place? Love is the perfect, clean, innocent emotion. I know this is the passage commonly used at weddings, but it should be a verse commonly used throughout relationships in our lives. I love my husband, and I know when he makes me mad, I'll get over it because I forgive him because of the love I have for him. But what if we applied this verse to other areas of our lives?
How often do we lose our patience with others? How often, when you get upset with everyone else, do you want to give them a laundry list of everything they've ever done to annoy you? (Well, you not only spilled coffee on my rug and ruined it, but 25 years ago, at my 3rd birthday, you took 2 goody bags, and when I was 12, you lost my favorite scrunchie, and 3 years ago you were late to our lunch date...) Instead of being happy for your friend who got a new job or moved into a bigger house, we often wonder why WE didn't get a new job or when will WE move into a larger house...why? Relationships full of anger, hatred, and mistrust ALWAYS fail, but relationships full of love thrive forever.
I believe, wholeheartedly, that the life we have here is truly the worst it's going to ever get for those who believe in God and heaven. Bad days, Murphy's Law (if it can happen, it will happen), anger, evil, jealousy, crime, fear...none of that is waiting for you on the other side if you live your life correctly. But, since we are stuck in this life for a long time, why can't we try to make it as good and happy as we can? Approach life and everything in it with love, and see what happens!
Day 23: My Favorite Quote
Continuing right along with the actual challenge is something that goes along with the Bible verse day. "My Favorite Quote". It's hard for me to pick just one, so here is a sampling of quotes that have really stuck out to me over the years.
"No one is useless in this world who lightens the burden of another"-- Charles Dickens
I like this one because it's so true. There are a lot of times when I feel like I'm not important, and this reminds me that sometimes even the littlest things I do for another person may have lightened their load (or their heart) and for that, I have a purpose.
"Life can be wildly tragic at times, and I've had my share. But whatever happens to you, you still have to keep a slightly comic attitude. In the final analyses, you have got not to forget to laugh"-- Katherine Hepburn
This one is so true. You have to just find the humor in some things, or you'll drive yourself crazy.
"I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control, and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst, you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." -- Marilyn Monroe
"Cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow, for babies grow up, we've learned to our sorrow. So quiet down cobwebs, dust go to sleep. I'm rocking my baby, and babies don't keep."-- Anonymous
I often talk about how it makes me sad that Lily is growing so fast, so this quote is really great for me right now. There is always something that needs to be cleaned or washed at home, but my baby girl won't always want to be cuddled and hugged.
"Be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind. Talk health, happiness, and prosperity to every person you meet. Make all your friends feel there is something special in them. Look at the sunny side of everything. Think only of the best, work only for the best, and expect only the best. Be as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own. Forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future. Give everyone a smile. Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others. Be too big for worry and too noble for anger." -- Christian D. Larsen
I told you, I am an eternal optimist.
"Any change, any loss, does not make us victims. Others can shake you, surprise you, disappoint you, but they can't prevent you from acting, from taking the situation you're presented wtih an moving on. No matter where you are in life, no matter what your situation, you can always do something. You always have a choice, and the choice can be power." -- Blaine Lee
When bad things happen, it's so easy for us to take the route of "Woe is me! How could this happen?" It's so much easier to wallow in self-pity than to pick yourself up by your boot straps, brush yourself off, and continue on with life. It's hard for us to remember that we have a choice in everything, and how we handle even the smallest change can make a huge difference in our whole lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment