Friday, March 25, 2011

What's in a name?

I am actually going to do the blog challenge topic today, but not right this second. I'll get to it, I promise.
Here is something I noticed this morning. I LOVE my ob/gyn...she is wonderful, and I'm sure you've already read my blogs about how her quick decision making made the difference in a healthy, living baby and a stillborn one. But anyway, she has steered me wrong and given me false hope in one area. From basically the second I became pregnant, brushing my teeth became the bane of my existence. Every time...every single time...I would get gagged. My doctor said it was definitely from my morning sickness and once that went away (which ended up being when I had Lily), I would be fine. Now, 15 days before Lily's 1st birthday, I am still having the SAME issues brushing my teeth, and I assure you, it is NOT due to morning sickness. I'm going to chalk it up to something from pregnancy that is not going to go away, like some women end up with bigger feet or inability to ever eat their favorite foods again. But anyway...
One of my co-workers bought a wonderful book at the community help center for $0.25 and she brought it to me to read today. It's called "Nesting: It's a Chick Thing 100 Tales, 1,000 Tips, and Endless Inspiration for women who seriously play house and garden (and hold pink poker nights)" by Ame Mahler Beanland & Emily Miles Terry. It's really informative and funny, and it's basically taking a modern twist on the 50's housewife.
What I've learned from this book so far:
1. My decorating style is half Country Chic Chick and half Bohemian Babe. (There's that Gemini duplicity again!) What this means is in my house, you'll see that I'm "drawn to the patina of age and the charm of a little wear around the edges" and that I "weave a nest filled with character, whimsy, and in-your-face personality." I have a welcoming home filled with sentimental treasures as well as original artwork, unusual and unique furniture (or vintage, painted wood, or distressed pieces). This book says I should gravitate towards Country Living and Pottery Barn as well as Elle Decor and Crate and Barrel. I'm a little bit modern and a little bit shabby chic. I'd say that is pretty accurate, and anyone who has seen my house (or listened to my decorating ideas) should probably agree. Basically, I buy or paint first, then find a place to put it later.
2. Friends fall into 7 categories, and it's beneficial to have at least one in every category. There's the "Jackie" who is basically the Hollywood stylist-- from clothes to decorating. She's the fashion forward trendsetter. Then there's the "Green Gertie"-- the organic, dirt loving, garden happy friend who can lend you green thumbs when yours turn purple. The "Martha" who is, as you guessed, the Martha Stewart (who is the women's MacGyver...give her a bandana, paperclips, and a dryer sheet and she'll make you custom drapes). The "Bargain Betty" is on a first name basis with every consignment store or flea market owner within a 100 mile radius (and emails the ones outside of it) and knows every where in the universe to find a good deal. The "Fix it Fanny" is the friend who takes do it yourself to a whole new level. Tools don't scare her, even if she doesn't know their proper name. The "Neighborly Nellie" is the one who will always be there to help with anything-- whether you need to talk or you need someone to help you move furniture. Then, last but assuredly not least, there is the "Mother Hen". She is always there to take care of you, give you advice about any topic under the sun, and will not hesitate to swoop in and rescue you from anything from a recipe to a relationship gone bad. I can think of people in my life that fall at least somewhat, in every category. Do you know where YOU fall?
3. I really, REALLY want to have a Pink Poker Party Girl's Night. It sounds like it would be a ton of fun, even though I really don't know how to play poker. There is supposed to be a fun themed dress, like, pajamas, 50's housewife, etc. Then, everyone brings some kind of over the top "diva" item (like a big piece of funky costume jewelry, a tiara, a feather boa, etc) and that is what becomes the pot in the last hand. So, the person that wins the last hand becomes the Pink Poker Diva. That would be a lot of fun, I think!! Who all is interested?!
4. Create the right atmosphere and present food in the right way, and no one will ever know it was all store-bought.
5. I have been inspired to create plant holders out of, well, everything. Gift boxes, old high heeled shoes, cowboy hats, hat boxes...I think it's time we added some springtime to our house.
Next on the agenda...Lily's word(s) of the day. Today, my little linguist pointed to a picture (of herself) and said "Pretty baby!" (no one said she wasn't conceited). It was so cute "Pitty baybeh...pitty pitty baybeeeee!" Then, when she handed my grandmother a toy, my grandmother said "Thank you". Lily responded "Tank yoooo!" She is also learning to say yellow and purple, and can point to those colors when asked. "yah yow" and "pip purl"
Now, on to the blog challenge topic. I'm not sure what day this is, so we'll just call it "Day I'm-so-far-behind-in-the-challenge-I've-lost-track-completely: Nicknames!" (There, simple and easy to remember.)
As long as I can remember, my mom has always told the story that she named me Amy because she felt like it was short enough and easy enough to remember that no one would give me any nicknames. Shortly after I was born, and probably because I was early and tiny, that went right out the window when my aunt christened me "Sweet Pea". Later, my grandfather started calling me "Amo" which my grandmother later shortened to just "Aim". At Cumberland, my sorority sisters christened me "Amers", which was again later shortened to just "Aim" until my friend Brandi's mom started calling me "Aimless".
In the last 10-15 years, I've answered to any and every variation of "Amy", as well as "Baby", "Babe", "Sweetie", and now, one of my favorites "Mama".
As a funny side note, when I was pregnant with Lily, I was adamant that she wouldn't have any nicknames. "Her name is Lily Katherine!" I'd say emphatically. "She's been called Oops for the last 6 months! Her name is Lily Katherine!" Within minutes of the decision her name would be Lily Katherine, she was nicknamed Lily Kate. Within minutes of her being born, she was nicknamed Peanut, and she's been everything since then-- punkin, punkinhead, Lily-bug, sugar bug, sugar booger, baby girl-- you name it, and we've probably called her by it. So much for no nicknames!!

No comments:

Post a Comment