Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Of mullets, gardens, and sewing...

I can't even remember where I am in the daily challenges because I'm a. behind and b. picking and choosing the order I write them (or if I write a particular topic at all). So today's blog is just going to be another daily dose of random thoughts. I hope you all enjoyed our lively discussion on jeggings in the last one, so you're as pumped as me about today's.
1. First, lovely readers, you'll remember a few days ago where I mentioned how God brings people together in strange ways at just the right time, right? Well, the prayers for my friend have been answered. She received very good news yesterday regarding that whole situation. I'm still so thankful that I was able to get my two friends together to talk about it, because she was able to go into yesterday with a bit more peace than she would've had, and was able to rejoice in the good news she received.
2. I have been discussing learning how to sew for a long time. I think I had even mentioned it when I wrote about finding a new, productive hobby. My grandmother and mom both used to sew their own clothes, as well as clothes for me. So, I figured, while my grandmother is here visiting, it was the perfect time to pick both her and my mom's brains and learn how to sew. Yesterday, my grandmother and I went to Joanns, where I picked out a pattern, material, and other things needed for the project. And, I'm proud to say, I sewed Lily a dress. It doesn't look awful for my first attempt at sewing using a real pattern on a sewing machine. Of course, I feel like you can tell it's handmade because it doesn't look immaculate, but I am patting myself on the back here for a "not to shabby" job. I have another yard of different material and I'm going to make another one this weekend. I feel like this may be the productive hobby I have been looking for. I MAY even try to make her some matching hair bows, or, when I feel more talented, make them and sell them. I may even begin to get really industrious and make matching hair bows and other accessories. Look out, Etsy and mothers of baby girls...
3. My dad came over last weekend and he and JP built my garden boxes. Since this is my first year trying to garden, and I don't need huge amounts of crop yield, we decided not to till the yard. If I don't end up having a green thumb, I didn't want my yard to be too messed up. So, we built 3 big boxes. I'll fill them with fill dirt and topsoil and plant my plants on top. That way, if it is a big fluke, we can spread the dirt over the yard (maybe fill in some holes that the dogs dug) and put down some grass seed and ta da! the yard isn't ruined. I started my seeds in a little "greenhouse" which is basically a plastic tray with 72 little peat circles. I am so excited to see that some are already sprouting! We also planted a grape vine, a raspberry plant, and a blueberry plant. I have since read that it helps to have more than one of each plant because they cross pollinate, so I think I'm going to pick up another raspberry plant and another blueberry plant. Talk to me in the middle of the summer and see if I'm still as excited about my garden project, after picking weeds, watering, and protecting it from bugs, bunnies, and who knows what else.
4. I really need to take a tutorial on blogspot. I would like to post more pictures; however, I find myself getting frustrated trying to upload and insert them. Fellow bloggers...help!
5. Lily has been amazing me lately with how quickly and exponentially her vocabulary is growing. Just about 2 weeks ago, she had a vocabulary of 17 words. Now, it's around 25, probably even closer to 30. It seems like every day, she has a new word or phrase. She really is a little sponge. She just sits and listens sometimes and then pops out with the cutest, funniest little expressions, actions, and words. This morning, she pointed at a segment of her multi-colored caterpillar and plain as day said "yellow". And she was pointing to the yellow part! She knows where other people's eyes, noses, mouths, and teeth are, and when you ask to see her teeth, she'll chomp, chomp, chomp her teeth and laugh. She has a shape sorter and can put the circle and the square in the right holes. She loves to walk around. Last night she was practically running through my parent's house, holding onto my dad's fingers, and everytime she saw my mom, she'd scream at the top of her lungs and punch my mom in the butt. This morning, she saw my grandmother and said "Hey dude!" She points at pictures of herself and says "Aww...baby! Awww...." She greets everyone she sees by saying "Hey baby!" except for JP. When she sees JP she says, "Hey boy!" He answers her with "I'm not boy! I'm Daddy! It's 'Hey Daddy!'" and she just cracks up. It's amazing how much she's grown in the last (almost) year. As much as I don't want her to grow up, I can't wait to see what the future holds for us and her antics. I have a feeling we're in for a wild, crazy ride.
6. Fun Fact: Off-brand Pyrex glass baking dishes have the potential to explode into a million bajillion pieces if stored in the garage. Second fun fact: The pieces of exploded glassware will be so tiny that they will not puncture your tire if you don't see them when you pull into your garage and run them over. I learned these two fun facts yesterday night, much to my dismay.
7. JP and I have decided to do the Insanity work out program by Beachbody (the makers of P90X), because we're ready to do whatever it takes (read: gluttons for punishment) to lose our weight and get back in shape. Because we're cheap (read: scared we will hate the program and wuss out before the 60 days is up), we're getting the program from a friend of ours temporarily. Once we decide we like it (read: we don't pass out, throw up, or die), we'll invest in our own copy. Our goal is to do Insanity for the 60 days to shed weight, then do P90X for the 90 days after to continue weight loss and build muscle. I also plan on hitting up the park as often as the weather allows to push Lily in her stroller around the track so we can both get some sunshine and fresh air. If anyone would like to join us on these excursions, let me know and we'll plan something. I don't want to be the fat mommy.
8. I'm taking a week's vacation the week of JP's and Lily's birthday. I'm already compiling my list of things to do when I'm on said vacation, which will really make it not a vacation at all. So far, my week off includes painting the hallway and laundry room, and treating the yard with weed and feed and grub, tick, flea, and spider killer, and going to the eye doctor. I'm also going to reorganize the kitchen. Fun events of the week are Lily's first birthday and party, and JP's 30th birthday and party.
9. Today at work, I saw the most interesting mullet I've ever seen. It was a hybrid between dredlocks, a perm, and a mullet-- business in the front, and a curly, dredlocked mess about 11 inches long down the back. That's taking it to a whole new level. I get a front row seat to People of Wal-Mart on a daily basis. A piece of fashion advice for you all: If your belly hangs over your jeans...buy a pair of jeans in a larger size, and please, for the love of all things pure and innocent...wear a shirt that covers your midsection. Also, if coming to Wal-Mart and walking the outer edge of the store over and over again is your daily exercise, it's probably worth looking into a membership at the gym, or at the very least, using the walking track at the Jimmy Floyd or the park. Wal-Mart isn't part of the mall walkers club.
10. I'm thinking about having a yard sale in May. I have a bunch of junk that I'd like to get rid of, as well as a bunch of clothes, baby stuff, etc. Would anyone be interested in bringing their junk over and sitting with me? If I get a few people, maybe we can put an ad in the paper or something.
And that, ladies and gentlemen...probably just ladies, as I doubt men read my blog...is that.

1 comment:

  1. First: I'm reading it :P

    Second: What kind of stuff do you have for a yard sale?

    Lastly: Congrats on learning to sew! Brandy picked right up on it, and I'm (slowly) learning as well.

    ReplyDelete